Pirgon Quarry is the largest quarry of white marble in Greece and one of the largest worldwide. The quarry is located in Drama of Northern Greece, near the village of Pirgon and it is spread in 28 layers with excellent ergonomic structure.
A network of 20 km internal roads enables people and machinery to move without obstacles. The quarry is well organized and easily accessible. The annual production capacity is 140.000 tons in marble blocks.
The quarry operates, in compliance with all quarrying regulations and necessary environmental studies, while the area is gradually restored at points where the marble deposit is exhausted. The Group implements a safety policy in line with applicable legislation.
Pirgon quarry is one of the largest of white marble globally. The quarry was formed in just seven years as an open amphitheater ensuring:
- Ergonomic use of all areas & machinery
- Maximum extractability
- High safety
All areas have been shaped by way of mild interventions on natural slopes that follow the mountain’s gradients, so that the quarry acts as a natural continuation of the landscape. Main factors that enhance quarry exploitation are:
- Accumulated knowledge of the marble deposit in terms of its qualitative, quantitative and technical characteristics.
- Implementation of an approved technical plan.
- Bench width which serves safe and rational operation of the mechanical equipment.
Throughout all the quarrying phases, the head engineer and his team ensure the safety of all tasks.
QUARRYING MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT
- Loader 42
- Dumper 8
- Excavator 16
- Drill Rig 20
- Jcb Saw 2
- Fork Lift 10
- Diamond Wire Cutting Machine 102
The factors that enhance the quarry exploitation of the Pirgon marble deposit include:
- Accumulated knowledge of the marble deposit in terms of its qualitative, quantitative, geometry and deposit characteristics
- Implementation of an approved technical design
- The bench width is determined on the basis of safe and rational operation of the mechanical equipment involved
- The bench layout is maintained
- Use of co-products or by-products of the production process
- Throughout the duration of exploitation works, the head engineer and his team ensure smooth progress of the works, rational extraction operations and the execution of the necessary environmental restoration works, in line with the approved studies.